Saturday, March 17, 2012

Are you checking for a Diastasis Recti incorrectly?

I will be in Cleveland Ohio at the Cleveland Clinic Hill Crest Hospital, instructing Stroller Moves Classes Thursdays during the summer. Also, I will be in Hoboken, NJ July 31-August 2nd. If you would like to meet with me personally to discuss fitness options or for me to check for a diastasis rectus, please contact info@bellabellies.com to make an appointment.

There is one common mistake women (and men) incur when checking for diastasis recti, read more below to find out what.

Why:
Prenatal and postnatal, checking a diastasis recti is necessary prior to structuring a core conditioning routine. Because it is associated with exercise, most health care providers do not check for a diastasis recti. Also, as indicated during our teacher training by our visiting Ob-Gyn, sometimes Health Care Providers are not properly checking for a diastasis recti or  do not consider it part of the postpartum follow-up protocol. If you have a diastasis recti it is absolutely necessary to modify your pilates/core routine to avoid un-supported forward flexion (crunch-like movement), jack-knifing of the legs, particular twisting motions and traditional plank. Modifying exercise for a diastasis recti will prevent further stretching (or even separation) of the musculature; stretching of the rectus abdominus will directly contribute to your belly bulge. If one is mis-reading a diastasis recti check, he/she may return to an exercise program that is inappropriate, one which may create a serious medical condition called a hernia.

My personal experience:
Prenatal, I was incorrectly checked for a diastasis recti and, as a consequence, continued with various, traditional pilates exercises. Later, I was sadly informed (by my health care provider) that I did have a diastasis recti. Improper exercises had caused my diastasis recti to separate the tissue that connected my abdominal wall together. In addition, I gave birth to a 10 pound 4 ounce baby, which heavily strained my abdominals. This separation "stretched down" to my internal viscera (organs) and, consequently, I was at great risk for a hernia. I was informed I needed surgery, postpartum, to heal my diastasis recti (which had stretched beyond 6 inches) and this surgery (similar to a tummy tuck) would need to wait until I had finished having my children. I was absolutely devastated; in no way were my husband and I ready to complete our family. I turned to Julie Tupler of Diastasis Rehab/Maternal Fitness. She informed me this could have been prevented, if my diastasis recti was checked correctly, and if I modified my prenatal fitness routine. I diligently studied with Julie and, under her guidance, taught prenatal pilates and postpartum pilates. Now, my diastasis recti has healed so that I do not need surgery, and I am happy to write, I was strong enough to have a second baby! Believe me, the medical odds were completely against me. But, if I can do it, you can do it! This is why I am so passionate about "Bella Bellies" and why I stress the importance of checking a diastasis recti correctly. There is no need for a woman to suffer with the pain and embarrassment of a diastasis recti, addressing it properly is key to prevention and treatment.

What:
I have read countless articles advising women to check for their diastasis in a "crunch-like" position, where the shoulder blades are entirely lifted off the floor and rounded forward. Unfortunately this is an inaccurate position to measure a diastasis rectus.

Who:
The authors of these articles are sharing valuable information by educating their audience on "Diastasis Recti", but are misunderstanding the basic function of the rectus abdominus muscle.

What is the rectus abdominus?
The rectus abdominus is a superficial muscle, comprised of two bands of fibers that run parallel to each other. The muscles halves are connected by an elastic tissue called the linea alba. The muscle fibers origin (beginning) is at the pubic bone and hip bones. The muscles fibers insertion is at the ribcage, below the sternum.

What happens to woman when she folds too far forward into a crunch-like position?
If a women folds forward into a crunch-like position, the basic physics/bio mechanics of the body allow the two-halves of the ribcage to draw/move together. Therefore the two opposite halves of the rectus abdominus move together (around the ribcage) allowing for a smaller reading. Furthermore, the checking of a diastasis recti should be a "passive movement," meaning the action does not require the participant to tighten his/her abdomen. If you lift the head and shoulders too far off the mat, the contents of your abdomen (stomach, small intestines, etc.) begin to push-out(further widening your diastasis recti) and the rectus abdominus both stretches and collapses-in. The rectus abdominus narrows as it stretches because the rib cage is moving forward toward toward the hip bones. All of this changes the reading and could mean the difference between a 3 cm diastasis recti and a 5 cm diastasis recti.  I understand this may be difficult to visualize. If you would like a reference to a certified Pre & Postnatal Bella Bellies instructor for further instruction, please email me at info@bellabellies.com.

So how do I check for a diastasis recti?
The rectus abdominus will "contract" by simply lifting the head and shoulders off the mat (or surface underneath you), and directly up to the ceiling. In doing so the shoulders will remain open and not rolled forward, also the ribcage will not narrow. The natural curve in the cervical spine/neck should remain when checking.  This form will allow for an accurate reading and proper results.

Most importantly!
Also, it is important when checking for Diastasis Recti (especially for a fitness instructor) to note how deep the separation is. When checking the depth of separation one must press over the naval and note if there is any muscular resistance to the individual pressing down. If there is little-to-no resistance, the next line of questioning is to note if there is any distinct distension similar to a hernia? This distension may have the appearance of a golf ball or pregnant-like belly distension.

Step-by-step instruction for checking a diastasis recti:
1) Lie on your back with knees bent, feet flat on the floor and legs touching.
2) Place all four of your fingers over your navel/belly button, with the palm of the hand facing your head and the finger tips touching.
3) Lift the head and tips of the shoulders (not the entire shoulder blade) directly up toward the ceiling and slightly off the floor. You should be looking directly up toward the ceiling and NOT at your breasts. The shoulders should not round-forward and collapse in-toward the mid-line of your body, but rather press back.
4) Touch the fingers against the navel, apply firm pressure down toward the spine. Gently glide your fingers from side-to-side (laterally). If you notice ridges on opposite sides of each other (with a gap in-between) than this is a diastasis recti. Note how far apart the diastase's recti is in finger length, for instance 2 fingers apart, 3 fingers apart, 4...
5) With your fingers, continue pressing directly down toward the spine. Note how far you can press without feeling some resistance from the underlying musculature. Eventually you should feel the musculature underneath the recti, tightening and preventing you from further pressing down.
6) Only check your diastasis recti every 2 weeks, especially if you have a separation greater than 2/3 fingers. Checking the diastasis recti weekly or more places too much pressure on the soft/weak connective tissue that lies in between the rectus abdominus, making the healing process more challenging.
7)While pressing down, if you notice any lumps which protrude forward, consult your Health Care Provider immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment